Yuletide greetings have come early for iOS jailbreak lovers round the world with the release of a now confirmed untethered jailbreak for Apple’s new mobile operating system iOS 7. For those who are quite uncertain about what the term “jailbreaking” is all about, jailbreaking can be referred to as “hacking” an Apple device such as an iPhone and iPad, so that users can download apps, extensions and themes that are not available through the official Apple App Store. On one side, this allows the user to have more control on the device in question while pushing it to its limits with new theme interfaces and extensions that enable interesting features such as Bluetooth file sharing, WiFi tethering and even game console emulation. But another side of jailbreaking is the ability for mobile application “piracy” where users could download and install free “cracked apps” on their mobile devices.
Technically speaking, jailbreaking an iPhone or iPad is NOT illegal. But Apple has warned that the practice “can violate the warranty”. It is worthy to also note that jailbreaking your device eliminates security layers designed to protect your personal information and your iOS device which could lead to hackers stealing your personal information, damage your device, attack your network, or introduce malware, spyware or viruses. Finally you should know that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement which gives Apple the full right to deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software. But all these don’t scare a LOT of people… one bit.
The evasi0n7 jailbreak, developed by a group known as Evad3rs, claims to work on an iPhone, iPad or iPod running iOS 7.0 through to 7.0.4. It takes 5 minutes of your dear time to install via a USB cable connecting the user’s device to a computer running Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. As the usual risk of data loss and several other complications, the need to backup your data cannot be overemphasized. As with the early versions of these hack tools, it has been confirmed that several hacks and extensions available on the Cydia store would not work properly. Thus, the probability of instability of the device’s operating system has a greater probability at this stage. Always backup your phone before installing new tweaks from Cydia as your iPhone could be stuck in the boot process,” warned evad3rs. “The situation will improve as developers will update their software.”
However, a number of tweaks do work, and thanks to iJailbreak, iPhonehacks.com and RedmondPie, here is a short list of confirmed working and not working tweaks. Please go through them carefully to decide if jailbreaking is okay for you at the moment.
- Software Update Killer
- ShakeToUndo Killer
- Signal 2
- Signal Booster (works after crashing on first open)
- Activator (beta version) – You need to add Ryan Petrich’s repo rpetri.ch/repo to install the beta version.
- iCleaner Pro
- Swipe Selection
- Accelerate (doesn’t work on iPhone 5s)
- Mobile Terminal
- WiFi Passwords
- FireWall iP
- Music Box
- AirDrop Enabler 7.0+
- Poof (doesn’t work on iPhone 5s)
- Speed Intensifier
- Respring (doesn’t work on iPhone 5s)
- Tetherme (iPhone 5 user has confirmed it works on iOS 7.0.4)
- Icon Renamer
- Music Box
- Movie Box
- Smart 3G + LTE
- FiveIconDock ios7
- Abstergo (Installs, no effect)
- Activator (beta): some things don’t work it also has a rather annoying message every time you unlock the device.
- BytaFont7: you have to move the .app folder to the correct location, and it never resprings to install the font. I have had some people get it to kind of work.
- Iconoclasm7: only one icon set works.
- Infiniboard (Installs. No effect)
- LocalIPStore (Sign into appstore keeps popping up, but some items unlock)
- SBSettings (Missing some components, but working, must manually install)
- Winterboard: It installs but won’t install themes.
- iFile (registration fails even when connected to Cydia)
- App Sync for iOS 7
- Barrel: The tweak puts the Device into safe mode when you swipe the page.
- No Badges
- Power Disconnect Chime (got errors trying to install)
- Springtomize 2: has no affect on device.
- WiFi Booster (got errors trying to install)
- Zeppelin: You can manually install this tweak but has no affect on status bar.
So, when it comes to this matter of jailbreaking iOS 7, we are reminded that “good things come for those who wait.” Cydia is known as the jailbreaking community’s preferred app Store and until several of the commonly used tweaks are working perfectly, you might as well relax and enjoy the holiday; not just for what it is, but for the hope of more dependable updates.